Saturday, September 17, 2011

My mother went to college

I lost my mom when I was 23 and my son was 3. I'm 29 now. The age my mom was when she lost her mom. I was 12 at the time and my brother was 9. I'm in awe that I have a 9 year old...I couldn't imagine have a 12 year old too. But I do know what it's like not to have your mom with you for your children's milestones. Or just to be there for you when you need her. I really miss my mom when I'm sick. I was sick during the week. It's strange how something as simple as a cold towel to the forehead can bring you back to your childhood days when your mom (and grandmother) would take care of you when you were sick. I remember my mom crying for her mom when she was sick...I didn't really understand at the time cause I was there to take care of her. But now I know...no one takes care of you like your mom.

As I get older, I have more respect and appreciation for my mother than I did when she was alive. I think that is natural. As you become a mother and have life experiences, you start to understand your own mother more.

I remember when my mom went to college. She went to Remington, I think. I'm pretty sure. I guess I was about 15.. I was a teenager, so wrapped up in myself I guess, that I didn't fully understand how hard it must have been for her. She didn't finish high school. She dropped out her freshman year. She did get her GED...after I was born, I think. She was a young mom and married young. She had been working jobs since she was 14 to help support her family. How courageous that she decided to go back to school after all those years. I remember she attended school during the day and worked nights at the post office. I went to her graduation. I came across the photos the other day. I'm not even sure I told her I was proud of her. I hope I did. That is so important. If you get anything at all from reading this blog, remember to tell the people in your life that you are proud of them.

Mama, I am and always will be very proud of you and the sacrifices you made for your family. See you on the other side. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment